Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Memorial of Mr.Lim Lian Geok

So some of you may have already known that today's the day of my performance..
The purpose of this performance is to commemorate the passing of the chinese community's ethnic soul Mr.Lim Lian Geok or 族魂-林连玉
For those of you who don't know much about him here's a short article lifted from the Dong Jiao Zhong's website

Mr Lim was an ordinary teacher. After the Second World War, he took on the mission to defend ethnic rights of the Chinese. During his eight-year tenure as Jiao Zong’s Chairman, Mr Lim faced with blow after blow made on Chinese education in this country, never gave way, even in the face of death threat, bribery and temptation. With Mr Lim at the helm, the Chinese community stood firm to reject all unreasonable policies, saving Malaysian Chinese schools from the fate of extinction.

Mr Lim will always be remembered for his integrity, courage and righteousness. He is identified as the Ethnic Soul, because of the examples he has set for the Chinese community in Malaysia.

Anyway I am not going to bore you with the details of Malaysia's Chinese Independant School History, but if you're really interested go check it out...type in some keywords like operation lalang (矛草行动), Chinese Independent Schools (独立中学) and even Lim Lian Geok (林连玉) then you will get a helicopter's view of what had happened during the Malaysian Education History, and hopefully you all will understand that the government is really hushing a lot of things up.


So,at some god forsaken hour in the morning (let me say it's so early that Federal Highway wasn't even jammed....) my parents drove me all the way to Bellamy Road to the memorial of Lim Lian Geok, it's near the istana and right next to Alice-Smith School (at the Fujian Cemetery at Jalan Sg Besi).
All in all I performed 3 songs with the choir on the behalf of my friend, though I think I had sung off key one or two times...overall it wasn't a bad experiece...I saw many many students from chinese independent schools all over Malaysia come and pay respects to Lim Lian Geok, some even came from as far as Sabah and Penang just for this day, there were also many VIPs present for this event for ex...Klang assemblyman Ronnie Liu Tian Khiew, DAP CEC member and NGO bureau chief..just one of the many

We as chinese should understand and read up about all these people who had sacrificed everything to perserve education in our own mother tongues....so let this event be an inspiration to all you people out there...learn your mother tongue and speak it with pride!

Below are the pics for this day =)

It was like 6.20 am when I took this picture

Look at me and my sis...Our eyes aren't even opened yet

I stayed up late studying, she got back late from band practice 

The things we do for the school~~~

The memorial, I don't know whether I managed to capture it but it

was

HUGE~!

It's a little dark considering I reached there at 6.50++am 

HAH! and the teacher said the bus was reliable

The others reached at 7++++++am

That's the ethnic soul

His image is 3-D

He and his wife were buried together

This is the cemetery I was at this morning

Me and my sis in front of the cemetery

She plays the French Horn for the school band


The writing at the side of his grave


The other side of it

This is the English translation of Lim Lian Geok's vision

WAY back in 1956 he already had a '1 Malaysia' vision 

He proposed that all races in Malaysia to share equal rights

But how come we're only hearing about it now?

Why is this  1 Malaysia concept suddenly introduced and made as if it's the idea of the BN

government??? why?

Wake up people...and see the true colours of the BN government!


The side of his grave showing his life's history

My attempt at showing you guys it's 3-D

'Apple' how to photoshop it to become 3-D? 

Haha

The mural on the wall 



cont

Drawn by this school

巴株巴辖华仁中学


Lalalala..the choir and their uber hot overcoats..

seriously..I nearly fainted what with the heat and lack of wind...

There's me sandwiched between Xiao En and Xing Zhu..

haha~can you spot our other classmates?

Mic test 1.2.3


Me sis...don't tell her but the uniform looks cool in a group

No comments:

Post a Comment